Monday 25 February 2019

Easily influenced

I've always been affected by what I'm exposed to. As a child I was 'accused' of being Welsh because I had picked up the accent from my room mate on holiday. Interestingly despite living up here in Manchester for 30+ years, I have still managed to keep hold of my North London, slightly posh Hampstead twang. Although my sibling accuses me of speaking "like a Northerner" from time to time, I would suggest that this is NOT a view shared by Mancunian locals!

Now  I've just been to see the Lego Movie 2 and I was full of joyous sharing feelings and singing "Super Cool" as I sashay up the road. Seriously go see it, it's good. 


When "My Name is Tallulah" comes on my fruit based device, I turn into a teenage sexpot, slinking my way onto the bus. Unfortunately shuffle means the next track could be anything from X Gon' Give It To Ya, through 5 different versions of Stepping Stone into the Pussycat Dolls. So slink goes to strut via groovy shame.


Now all this is well and good when I'm watching "Pride & Prejudice" (again) or something similar. The Lady Lillekat comes out to play and she knows what to do with her little finger, thank you very much. And when I feel down I find a few episodes of the cartoon "Wander over Yonder", which is about being lovely to people and "It never hurts to help", will perk me right up as I start to remember all the loveliness in the world. Sing it with me "Everything is awesome! Everything is great when you're part of a team".

So far so good. Except I'm currently entrenched in Shameless (US). I noticed a change when I asked my niece to "scope out the joint" of a friend she was visiting when really I meant "ask the friend if they knew where something might be". When chatting with chums about a gay friend and my relationship I found myself coming out with the line “I like dick and so does he.” This is not normal parlance for me. I would usually only use “dick” to describe Donald Trump.  I'm wearing a lot more hoodies and whilst I have always been a bit of a potty mouth, the vocabulary used is definitely more guttural (see dick quote) and my use of the middle finger has increased exponentially. 

It should be noted that I have never watched Breaking Bad, because I don't think my cul de sac is the place for a meth lab.

The thing is I'm only on season two. There are 7 seasons on Netflix with at least 2 more to come. - Will I end up putting my sofa on the porch? I don't have a porch. Will my car parking space do instead? 

No comments:

Post a Comment